Wednesday, July 29, 2009

lunch bag

i bring a lunch and a snack to work almost everyday. my lunch contents vary quite a bit, but my snack is consistently some kind of fruit. this generally requires an assortment of containers (reduced when i go bento-style), depending on the day and the contents. for a long time i had been using a spare tote bag that my mom had, but it just wasn't fulfilling my needs. for one, it wasn't big enough. it was also lined with vinyl, which irritated me. worst of all, it was made out of this ugly burgundy fabric with stars all over. not good.

i finally found the time and energy to complete the project, which had been on my list of to-dos for over a year. i didn't have the foresight or patience to take photos to make this into a proper tutorial, but i can at least give the rationale behind the bag, and a few pointers and ideas.

my new lunch bag had to fulfill the following requirements:
- be machine washable
- slightly insulated
- have a wide bottom so containers can lay flat
- tall enough to fit many containers
- be cute


i used amy butler lotus fabric for the top portions, pocket, and straps. i used gray fabric for the base of the bag, and yellow for the lining. i used heavy weight non fusible interfacing as well as insulbrite to line the bag. for those of you that don't know (but probably can guess from the name), insulbrite is used for adding insulation. it also gives the final product a rather puffy look, which i like. it was my first time using both the insulbrite and the heavy weight non fusible interfacing, and i think maybe next time i will use a less heavy, fusible interfacing. it was a pain lining up all those layers!!! i also chose a sport jacket zipper since those are generally more durable. i think. the bag is 12 inches wide on top, and is 9 inches tall. the base is 7.5" by 6.5". it's huge! which is exactly what i need!

overall, i would say that i'm 93.5% pleased with the end product. it certainly has made the past few days brighter, and made me more excited about bringing my lunch (despite the recent boring contents), which is what really counts, right?

3 comments:

  1. This is adorable! I love it! Can you make me one? hehe xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so cute! I'm so impressed with your skills. (=

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...